Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 6, 2011

...And The Battle For The Future

Ok, I’m a FILM SNOB. I admit it. With the internet being bombarded with DIY Filmmakers, and YOUTUBE Users, who we will now  kindly refer to as “Uploaders”, I’m spent and exhausted constantly looking for something new, and fresh, and finding nothing but crap. With the advent of the Internet, and especially in the last few years, the ability to post anything you have, anywhere you want, has made people’s own opinion of self worth skyrocket. That’s why 99.9 percent of the time whatever you’re searching for, no matter how mundane, or “OUT THERE”, some one, some where, has taken the time to POST it. Whether it is YOUTUBE, VIMEO, dailymotion, Facebook, GOOGLE Video, if you can think of it, it’s out there.


That being said, I know that I’m being a total hypocrite because I, Mark Dennebaum, am an “Uploader”. I feel that people want to watch whatever it is that I do….and THEY DON’T! It’s been through years of showing people my “Work” that I’ve learned this cold, hard truth. Like Tyler Durden says. “You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your f@#$ing khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.” In other words, NO ONE CARES…or so I thought.

Recently through my relentless pursuit of trying to get paid to be entertained I finally took the plunge and started watching something that was suggested to me two years ago. It was suggested to me by a good friend who told me that it was a “web series we did in college”, and that I should “check it out” if I ever had some time to kill. I got time. I watched the first episode and didn’t finish watching until “The Real Season Finale” episode. Each episode is roughly 12 minutes and it was one of the most pleasurable experiences (outside of the usual pleasurable things i.e. coffee, cigarettes, making fun of the less fortunate) I’ve had perusing the Internet lately.

The name of this gem that should be seen by EVERYONE IN THE WORLD is “THE CHANNEL X NEWS TEAM…And The Battle For The Future”. It follows a DIY analog "Pirate" News Team dealing with the transition of analog to digital broadcast signals. Now, that’s not the true plot of it because there is so much complexity and character that there is no way for me to fully give a justifiable description of the show. JUST WATCH is the best review I could ever give.

The beauty of this show is that one of the co-stars is the one and only Tim McDermott, who strangely enough spends a larger than normal portion of the show shirtless (it’s like when Will Ferrell gets shirtless minus the appendectomy scar). I always thought Tim was funny and creative, but nothing like this. The whole crew that created and worked on this should be acknowledged for what they pulled off…the true spirit of DIY. It seems like they blinked their eyes and made GOLD. I laughed, I cried, I felt uncomfortable, all the things I look for in entertainment, a memorable moment. If you can make a viewer feel any of those emotions and still keep them watching, the hard part is over. And CHANNEL X NEWS TEAM does it in spades. So, without further adieu, I give you “THE CHANNEL X NEWS TEAM…And The Battle For The Future” Episode 1. If there’s one thing to ever believe me with, it’s after Episode 1, WATCH ALL OF THEM! To The Future!!




- Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment